Thursday, September 22, 2011

Outlines

As I sit here working on a rough outline for some upcoming chapters, I'm going over some notes I took at a recent conference I attended during a seminar that focused on plot development.  (And I am also noticing how incredibly sloppy my own handwriting is when I am scribbling furiously.)  Just thought I'd take a second to pass along a few general pointers I picked up.

*  Don't be afraid to change your outline as the story develops.  As you write, your story may progress in a direction different from what you'd initially planned, but that fits better.  Don't feel committed to what you initially laid out.
*  Have highs and lows that steadily build.  Have an "absolute low" point just before your climax.
*  Plan some "quiet" chapters without a lot of action.  These chapters are ideal for character development.  Give the reader aspects to contemplate during "down" time where they aren't caught up in the action.
*  Have a good general idea of several major conflicts that you want to take place and build your story out from there versus writing start to finish of the book.
*  Don't be afraid to skip around while writing--write what you feel most drawn to on any given day, not just "what comes next" or "where you left off."

Hope that provides someone with some insight.  I feel a little more organized and focused now.  Off to be productive now.

1 comment:

  1. Nice tips. I especially like the one about "quiet" chapters for character development. I seem to have a lot of those...

    ReplyDelete