Monday, October 4, 2010

A Blog? Why?

Ah, the inaugural first post.  This opportunity only happens once, so I guess I'd better make it good. 
I figure the best way to start things off is by answering the question:  Why do you have a blog?

Simple...sort of.

I'm a writer.  (It still feels really odd to refer to myself as such.)  I'm currently working on my first book and hope to become a published author in the not-so-distant future.  The way I see it, if I'm going to call myself a writer, then it's about time I lived up to the title.

I'm fortunate enough to have the support of friends and family who are always willing for me to bounce ideas off of and who ask for updates on my writing status with genuine interest.  (Or, maybe they just fake it well.)  I've been working for the better part of a year now, but not really pushing myself, setting personal deadlines, or taking my goals seriously.  Until now.

In short, I feel like I've reached a pivotal point where I have to make a decision about the direction I really want to take.  The way I see it, I have two options:  A) I can continue to swap emails with my reading audience of 2 and never apply myself to do more than that, or B) I start to take it seriously, do everything within my power to push myself to succeed, and focus on my goal of achieving that coveted status of 'Published Author.'

I'm choosing option B.

2 comments: